Well it’s another day and there’s yet another ground breaking announcement from the guys over at Facebook, and this one is going to be a killer tool for us to use as online marketers.
The new tool is part of the ads platform, it’s called Audience Insights and the idea behind it is to give us marketers trends about our current customers and potential customers from the massive FB data set, which will help us refine and tailor our ad messages so that we can get better performing ads.
Here’s what Facebook outline for the new tool:
Say you want to raise awareness for your women’s luxury fashion brand, and you sell your products in-store. You’d want to know how many people on Facebook live near your stores, as well as their interests, their past purchase behavior and how they tend to shop (online vs. in-store).
Using Audience Insights, you can get aggregate and anonymous information such as:
- Demographics — Age and gender, lifestyle, education, relationship status, job role and household size
- Page likes — The top Pages people like in different categories, like women’s apparel or sports
- Location and language — Where do people live, and what languages do they speak
- Facebook usage — How frequently are people in your target audience logging onto Facebook and what device(s) they are using when they log on
- Purchases activity — Past purchase behavior (i.e. heavy buyers of women’s apparel) and purchase methods (i.e., in-store, online)
And you can view this information for three different groups of people:
- People on Facebook (the general Facebook audience)
- People connected to your Page or event
- People in Custom Audiences you’ve already created (an audience made up of your current customers)
Audience Insights is different from Page Insights because it looks at trends about your current or potential customers across Facebook, whereas Page Insights looks at the interactions with your Page (i.e., likes, comments and shares).
The data itself is aggregated, so you don’t get any personal identifiable information, but you do get some great information about your potential customers so that you can totally tailor your message to hit all the right notes with your audience.
The Audience Insights tool is launching now for US based Facebook marketers and will be rolled out globally soon.
Take a watch of the official video from Facebook to see the awesome power that it coming our way.